Monday, May 14, 2007

Madeleine "Maddie" McCann

Madeleine McCann is a 3 year old girl from Britain who was with her parents and 2year old twin siblings on holidays at a resort in Portugal.

Little Maddie's parents (Kate and Gerry McCann) seemed to think it would be wise decision to leave the three children alone, with an unlocked patio door, while they dined at a restaurant 100 yards away. They claim they could see the door to their suite and went back every half an hour to check on the children, a claim which is now being disputed by staff and/or witnesses at the hotel, who say the parents did not check on their children at all, but remained at their table the entire evening.
Now reports are coming out that this was either a kidnap to order scheme carried out by a pedophile ring, or perhaps even a revenge kidnapping for a reason that has not yet been revealed (though I can say with confidence that if I was in a position where someone could be seeking revenge against me I wouldn't be leaving my 3 young children alone, in a foreign country, in a hotel room).

Well, not too surprisingly, upon their final return they found the door and window open and little Maddie was gone!

What shocked me more was that when I read one of the newspaper articles someone who was interviewed said that the first thought on anyone's mind was that we've all done that. I beg your pardon? I admit that I will leave my son in the house (he's 9) to go take the garbage out, maybe even to run to the car. I tell him where I'm going, I lock the door, he is instructed not to open it and I take my cell phone in case I can't get back for some reason.

The other thing that I find absurd./suspicious is that while this may be passing incorrect judgement, I will assume the parents would have been able to hire a nanny for their trip, if not at the very least the resort offers childcare services for those dining on site, and babysitting service at an extra charge for those venturing elsewhere to dine or sight see.

I can not get over the disgust I feel towards these parents, I think that regardless of the outcome of this case they should be charged with child endangerment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home