Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Welcome to the freak show

I am the first to admit and recognize that I am paranoid beyond a generally acceptable level. This is not to be confused with a guilty conscious because I'm not doing anything wrong but I am cautious and careful and have an occasional tendency to overthink things. I don't like to be right about it but there is a certain satisfaction in the knowledge that my 'paranoia' saved me from pain or harm.

In most places with secure parking there is a rule/suggestion that you wait for the gate to close to ensure no-one slipped in to break into or steal cars -we've also had one or more incidents with firearms on the property in the past- so I was a little bothered to see a guy creep in after my car at 11:00 tonight. I waited in the car for a few minutes trying to decide what to do. I eventually decided to drive back out and see if he was hiding in the doorway he had gone towards, I didn't see him so I parked and went to leave the underground. We have an electrical room beside the door I take to my apartment and there he was in it. You would think that would be enough for me to know he is supposed to be there but once my mind had started, good luck. He was on the phone and I was listening to see if I could hear what he was talking about but only heard him rattle off some account numbers. I ended up interrupting him because I was becoming less uncomfortable and more put out by the whole thing. His brief, short and vague explanation appeased me because I was tired and most of the fear was gone, but some 45+ minutes later I hear some rustling and tapping on the wall beside my head in bed, imagine my shock to look out the window and see this person has the fire alarm off and is basically wiring/unwiring my wall. Now I feel it is prudent to reiterate that I am not having a guilty episode, but I don't feel unreasonable at becoming more concerned, especially when I ask for a business card and he doesn't have one.

I get his info, he provides me with the name and number of the person who called him in to do/fix whatever it was he was up to (it checks out as someone who really does work here) so I go straight to google, http://www.activefire.ca/ it appears to be a true business but there is no history and for all my paranoid mind knows, he created this website in his white van with no windows that is in the underground (which I got pictures of so if I am done away with tonight hopefully the authorities will find the pictures in my camera and put 2 and 2 together) shortly before I arrived home.

It's so weird, do I notice these things because I'm paranoid or am I paranoid because of these kind of things? I think it's a bit of a catch 22 here, but don't worry I am not too scared (he's gone now) but I will not be getting changed in my bedroom anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home