Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I know I am overprotective but does this seem reasonable?

I am the first to admit that I can be overprotective. There are lots of reasons for this, partly because my parents were and now as an adult I see how well it worked out for me when I see old school mates who were always allowed to go anywhere, do anything, and have now wound up in less then wonderful places with their lives. Also partly because I do volunteer work with groups that address children's safety and exploitation prevention among others, and the other part is simply because I am a paranoid (but educated and aware) spazzatron.
A few weeks ago I saw an old friend with his daughter who is not yet a teenager, she had on a set of fake nails from the salon, not press ons but the kind that stay on for a long time.
Is it because I have a son and am out of touch with what's appropriate with girls? I don't really believe that.
She's just turned 11, so she was probably 10 when she got them put on. Totally not my business so I didn't say much except to ask how old she was (with bug eyes and chin to the floor but that was partially because I thought 'how could this girl be 16 already, my how time flies').
I have to relent in the fact that since I didn't make a point of asking, I don't know the details surrounding the nails aside form her age and the fact that they were VERY long (leading me to suspect that they had been on for some time).
I just can't find a legitimate reason why a child of this age would be allowed to go out to school and in public in general with those on.
Can anyone offer somelogic for this or am I right in thinking these parents either watch too much MTV or not enough?

1 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just wierd, even if it was for a special occasion there are press on nails which come off at the end of the day.
Not only can Salon nails destroy the natural nail below, but the pain from snapping one or catching it is not fair to a youngster (especially if they aren't being filled or shortened at the salon every 2 weeks).
I agree with you on it being innapropriate for a child of that age no matter what the reason.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home