Saturday, December 02, 2006

Haven't we come further then this?

I have a good friend who does a drop in in Surrey BC for street level sex workers.Many, if not all of the girls she sees are homeless, so their sex work is purely for survival not for luxuries such as fancy cars or nice homes (though that would be ok I guess).
On Boxing Day there will be a Christmas dinner for the ladies at the drop in, most of them don't have any family, either because their families abandoned them or they simply have no family to speak of, this would include kids who's families have passed away, were abusive to them, or else they were raised in foster homes.
Anyways, I sent out an email to some of my contacts who I thought might be willing to help out, I want to collect some items to give out so that these ladies will feel like there are people out there who care about them, which of course there are.
Some of the items I requested were cash, blankets and winter coats, feminine hygiene products, shampoos, conditioners, deodorant, make-up, gloves, scarves, nutritional drinks like Boost, socks, hair ties and kid's gift certificates so that the girls who have kids can send them or pass them on if they still see them.

I emailed it to a lot of people, mostly to positive or no comments, but here is one I recieved that doesn't fall into either of those categories:

sorry unfortunatly i will not be helping you out with this request. i would much rather donate my money or items to others in need like our local food banks or battered women and children shelters. i find it hard to sympathise with street level hookers and drug addicts who cant get there shit together to keep their children and to get off the drugs and off the streets. i am sorry and good luck with your fundraising

I wonder why she replied at all. Just to cast some stones? I am trying to refrain from e mailing or calling her to give her a piece of my mind so I thought I would put this out here and get it off my chest.
What would your reply email have said to my request for help? If you didn't want to help would you have replyed at all or just kept it to yourself?

1 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know what to say, I would probably try to help you out. Even a few bucks is good since the dollar stores sell gloves and wool caps for low prices.
I think it's people with attitudes like your cousin who are a huge part of the problem, how can a person in such a position "get their shit toegther" without any help?
When you have people telling you basicly that you deserve to live on the streets and lose your children because of drug use, where is the motivation and courage to change supposed to come from? Those steps need support, not shunning.
I think what you are doing is very commendable, it's inspriring and I hope you find support from some good people out there (because there are some left).
And also, I think you are probably right in thinking she only replied to get a few jabs in ragrding these girls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home