Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Canada's Tories Propose 3 Strikes Law

It sounds nice, it sounds like something that would work, but realistically, it isn't either.
I know I often am accused of being a bleeding heart, I don't really mind the title. I know that just because I have common sense, and from time to time can see that something needs to be done differently with certain types of criminals is not a bad thing. I have no real problem with criminals going to jail, I know that something need to be done to deter crime from being commited. I just don't think this is the answer.

Toronto lawyer Clayton Ruby calls the bill partisan political posturing -- and bad legal policy.
"The Tories get votes from bashing criminals and Canadians simply seem stupid enough to bite on this again, and again, and again," Ruby said.
"It doesn't matter whether it's effective, it doesn't matter if it's good policy. The electorate loves it."
A University of Toronto law professor said taxpayers would be stuck paying for additional prison spaces, while the bill wouldn't reduce crime rates.
"There have been many studies that show that the severity of punishment does not really affect the deterrence of crime. The possibility of detection does," said Peter Rosenthal.
"Criminals don't sit around thinking, 'They've increased it now to four years [in jail] -- I'd better not rob that store. But for two years I'd do it.' Nobody thinks like that."


In California they have the 3 strikes law. This has done nothing to lower the crime rates, all it has done is radically increase the prison population (and the taxpayers' costs). It has also increased the amount of women struggling to raise families with no support from the father (who even as a criminal may be able to provide some assistance to the mother and children) for around 25 years.
I have no idea what the sentances of Canada's version would look like, but we currently have a Dangerous Offender law which can be used against sexual and violent offenders (the crimes must be worth 10 years while the 3 strikes would only need to be worth 2 years) which may or may not actually be being used to it's full potential. I think this new proposed law is nothing more then a band aid, not to mention politically motivated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home